This morning, Officer Sandra Gonzalez, Public Information Office, Public Relations Unit, was a featured guest on Primera Edición, Univision’s KMEX 34 weekday morning show. Officer Gonzalez was in-studio to launch the 2008 LAPD Essay Contest. Now in its fifth year, the LAPD Essay Contest is conducted through middle schools within the Los Angeles Unified School District and the Archdiocese of Los Angeles. In 350 words or less, students in 6th, 7th, and 8th grade are asked to answer: If you were a Los Angeles Police Department officer for a day, what would you do that would have the greatest impact on the community?
The contest begins this Monday, February 25, 2008, and is open for four weeks. The entry deadline is Friday, March 21, 2008.
Submissions are read by volunteer judges that consist of police officers and community members. Essays are judged on topic significance, creativity, content, and writing style, including spelling and grammar. Judges look for writing that is clear, articulate, and logically organized.
The purpose of the LAPD Essay Contest is to allow youth to contemplate and express their opinions about the community problems that may have affected their quality of life; enhance students’ perception of law enforcement officials and their role in the community; promote serious discussion among middle school students, teachers, and parents about quality of life issues and to provide problem-solving solutions today and in the future; complement existing curricula and other scholastic activities; and strengthen students’ research, writing, and reasoning skills.
The content of the students’ submissions range from ideas about how to improve the quality of life in the City, to personal stories of how crime has affected their lives.
A total of ten winners will be selected, five students from LAUSD schools and five students from Archdiocese of Los Angeles schools. The winners will be invited to a breakfast ceremony on Thursday, May 29, 2008. They will also make a live television appearance on Primera Edición, Univision’s KMEX 34 weekday morning show, prior to the breakfast ceremony. Each winner will also receive:
· A new bicycle safety helmet, courtesy of Safe Moves
· Two vouchers good for four seats to a summer concert at the Hollywood Bowl, courtesy of the Los Angeles Philharmonic. (www.hollywoodbowl.org)
· A Polaroid instant camera, courtesy of Polaroid Corporation, (www.polaroid.com)
· Two ticket vouchers to Universal Studios Hollywood (www.universalstudioshollywood.com)
· Four admission tickets to Aquarium of the Pacific (www.aquariumofpacific.org)
· Four vouchers good for four seats to the Ringling Bros. and Barnum & Bailey Circus, performing at the Staples Center July 16-July 20, courtesy of Feld Entertainment, (www.ringling.com)
· One $20 voucher valid towards racing, golf or video games at Speedzone (www.speedzone.com)
· One all day play pass valid towards attractions and golf at Boomers Park (www.boomersparks.com).